The Fireflies phenomenon
Dang also known as The Dangs, is a district in the state of Gujarat in India. The administrative headquarters of the district are located in Ahwa. Dang is a forest region near Saputara. The gleaming fireflies at night adds a hue to Gujarat’s already colorful lifestyle.
Apart from the beautiful fireflies Dang forest also is a home for commonly noticed birds like Wood Pecker, Parrot, Hornbill, Indian Sparrow, Mayhna, Drongo, Egret, Kite, Owl & Eagle.
There are about 2,000 firefly species. These insects live in a variety of warm environments, as well as in more temperate regions. They are a familiar sight on summer evenings. Fireflies love moisture and often live in humid regions of Asia and the Americas. In drier areas, they are found around wet or damp areas that retain moisture.
This phenomenon usually takes place just before the main monsoon arrives and after the first showers.
Light and chemical production
Light production in fireflies is due to a type of chemical reaction called bioluminescence. This process occurs in specialized light-emitting organs, usually on a firefly’s lower abdomen. The enzyme luciferase acts on the luciferin, in the presence of magnesium ions, ATP, and oxygen to produce light.
Light in adult beetles was originally thought to be used for similar warning purposes. Now its primary purpose is thought to be used in mate selection. Fireflies are a classic example of an organism that uses bioluminescence for sexual selection.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS TRIP :
– Witness the gleaming festival.
– 2,000 firefly species.
– Different variety of birds, animals & insects.
– Dang forest is hilly, the highest peak in the east is 1100 m high.
– Local culture and cuisine.
– Nature trails.
Special discount for children.
– Below 5 years is free.
– For 6 years to 12 yrs, 50% of the Adult Charge.*
* But if child is staying with only 1 parent (on double occupancy), Full charge will apply.
50% charge will apply on Child if staying with both parents (on triple occupancy).
How to reach :
- Air: Surat Airport is the nearest, 172 km away, Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport Mumbai is the nearest international airport 360 km away.
- Rail: Bilimora is the nearest railway station on Western Railways. There is a narrow gauge (0.7 m) (small train) from Bilimora to Waghai. Waghai is 52 km from Saputara .
- Road : Bus facility is available from Chikhli, Bilimora, Nasik and Surat. By bus Saputara is about three hours from Bilimora. Government buses are available from there.
IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS :
- Your travel will enhance the livelihood of the villagers since part of the income generated will be earned by them. Hence you are privileged to travel for a social cause
- Exclusive Clean Rooms with attached sanitation will be provided. Rooms to be shared on double occupancy only. Do not expect 3 star and above luxury. But we assure homely hospitality.
- Vehicle has to be arranged by the tourists. In case tourist wants a guide for sightseeing please have a provision for a seat for him.
- Local Taxi/Shared Taxi can be arranged based on actuals. Tourist should pay for the Guide in case of shared taxi.
- The package includes Accommodation, Meals, Guide to perform village level activities & sightseeing, activities mentioned in the itinerary. Any additional requirements can be incorporated based on possibility for arrangement.
- In case of poor weather condition it is a wise decision to avoid travel. Hence we urge tourists not to complaint on compromise with the itinerary.
- In case you find the itinerary a bit hectic, it can be customized to your needs.
- All Adventures/activities are performed at participant’s risk. LAFL does not hold any responsibility to damage done to the participants in form of injury, pain or sickness. However, such threats can be avoided by following the rules and regulations shared by the coordinator.
- Do not carry more than required valuables. LAFL does not hold any responsibility in case of loss of any valuables.
COVID 19 GUIDELINES
Terms and conditions (Covid19 specific)
- Mask is now not Mandatory
- The site falls in the green zone category, so we recommend you avoid bookings if you are unwell or have any coronavirus symptoms. As we will not permit entry and there will
be no refunds.
- The guests need to carry a water bottle and other Covid essential (Face Mask,gloves,sanitiser)
- Please understand these are public places and we do take all necessary precautions as per
guidelines, but we request your cooperation and mindfulness too.
- In case any of the participants has a medical excuse and needs to cancel we will refund
100% ,but if the group cancels or postpones then there will be cancellation charges
applicable .Instructions for all participants /guests On Campus
- It’s mandatory for all participants to bring their own water bottles ,Sanitizer,face mask and
- All participants should maintain distance at various common areas .
- Though we take utmost precautions our responsibility for safety lies towards the locals too.
- Our guests should please understand the new normal and cooperate with the change in policies, as directed by the govt and travel association.
Day 1 - Report at Dangs by afternoon
Lunch at Tribes home or Farm House
Get familiar with our community tribes. Learn about the customs, culture and traditions of the tribes.
Realize the importance of Sustainable living by going through the living habits of tribes – Use of Fish Tank (to avoid mosquitoes), The Organic way of Preserving Grains, Organic Farming Techniques, Conditions in Wedding, etc
Proceed for firefly show – Countless fireflies lit the night by emitting light to attract the female of different species. There are about 18 varieties of firefly in India each with different pattern of emitting light. These different pattern help to identify them the correct match. This is once in a year event that will create a Galaxy like effect with stars in the sky and countless fireflies around you. Certainly a moment not to be missed!
Return, & Dinner at Farm House – overnight stay in Dang
Day 2 - Departure
(coordinator service concludes here since sightseeing does not require expertise)
Visit to Shabridham Temple. Explore the panoramic view of the mountain range from the hill top after darshan. Visit Pampa Sarovar (Ma Shabri used to do Tapasia for Lord Rama here). Dip in the river (those interested should carry a towel and extra pair of clothes).
|Accommodation in resort rooms on twin sharing .
|All veg meals ( 1 lunch, 1 dinner, 1 breakfast)
|Guide only for the itinerary.
|LAFL Service charges
|All beverages (including bottled mineral water)
|Transportation to Dang Forest and back .**
|Personal medical requirements
|Phone and internet usage
|All not mentioned in the ‘Included’ section
**Transport from Mumbai to Dang Forest can be arranged by us, at an extra cost.
Please note that cancellation charges are calculated of the total amount payable and not of advance amount. If 100% of the amount is not paid while registering, the cancellation policy stands void.
DATES FOR 2023
PEAK SIGHTING PERIOD :is predicted in June this time
Batch 1 : 17th June
Batch 2 : 24th June
Batch 3: 1st July