Kumaon circuit motorcycling
The idea is to explore very remote places in the Kumaon Himalayan region of Uttarakhand in India. It’s going to be a 7 day expedition on motorcycles and some real hardcore riding on the hills.
Kumaon is one of the two regions and administrative divisions of Uttarakhand, a mountainous state of northern India, the other being Garhwal. It includes the districts of Almora, Bageshwar, Champawat, Nainital, Pithoragarh, and Udham Singh Nagar. It is bounded on the north by Tibet, on the east by Nepal, on the south by the state of Uttar Pradesh, and on the west by the Garhwal region. The people of Kumaon are known as Kumaonis and speak the Kumaoni language.
Who can join this Motorcycle Trip?
All enthusiastic riders can join this ride , yes you should know how to ride a bike or sit behind as a pillion. This is an easy grade ride with occasional stops for chai !!.
You can ride solo or as a pillion.
What about motorcycles , do we have to bring our own ??
You are most welcome to bring in your own motorcycle, but if you dont wish to ,then we can help you hire one from Kumaon itself.
Our cost mentioned does not includes the cost of a motorcycle ( Royal enfield 350/500cc).
Are we going to ride in a big group ?
This is not necessarily a group tour, and can be customised for 1 person also, if required.
Highlights of the trip
- Ride in a small exclusive group.
- Motorcycles can be arranged on rent at Kathgodam.
- A bike mechanic would accompany.
- Ride along with Mr Prateek Deo – CEO LAFL, 15+ yrs experience of riding on the hills.
- English & Hindi speaking group leader.
- All stays would be in authentic villages, fantastic locations on top of remote hills, besides rivers, amidst forests of Kumaon, managed by the village people themselves. Stay would be in Safari tents, heritage house, machans , camping tents etc.
- Stay is machhan . Machhan is (in South Asia) a platform erected in a tree, used originally for hunting large animals and now for watching animals in wildlife reserves.
- Authentic local cuisine can be arranged.
- Adventure actives like Kayaking, Paragliding, Trekking; swimming in rivers can be arranged.
- Birding activity and nature walks can be done.
- Pit stops for meals would be in awesome locations and restaurants, with clean toilet facilities.
Day 1 -Kathgodam to Suriyagaon , Sattal – 25kms
Day 2 -Sattal - Nainital - Sayat - 76kms
About the stay : Imagine Thomas Hardy’s countryside. Imagine the undulating Kotabagh valley in Corbett landscape with amazing mountain backdrops and smoking chimneys from scattered village homes. Sleep in machhans today.
Here we can do : Wildlife & birding trails, mountain biking, night hikes, river treks, camping in the forest.
Day 3 - Sayat- Kotabag- Ramnagar – Ranikhet - 150kms
Day 4 - Ranikhet to Shama – 153kms
Our campsite at Shama is saddled on a peninsula that juts out into an ocean of mountains, the camp has three hundred and sixty degree view and is at an elevation of 7500 feet.
Here you can do : meet the amazingly simple and content mountain people, special birds and geckos, take hikes to mountain tops and meadows, or laze around in high grass with sweet nothings to do.
Day 5 - Shama to Nachani - 40 kms
Today is a short beautiful ride along the river Ramganga.Our stay is set up on the riverside amidst the blue waters, shapely rocks and cool sands, in camping tents.
What we can do : Swim in emerald green pools in deep jungles. Light a fire. Eat fish with mango pickle. Snuggle in a cozy tent to the river lullaby. Sail a kayak. Take a hike to a hidden village. Ride a bike. Catch a frog. Chew a weed. Live a life.
Day 6 - Nachni to Mukteshwar –187kms
What we can do here : Rock climbing/rappelling, jungle day hikes, some of the best sunrises and sunsets, fruit picking, Himalayan village lunches, waterfall splash, basketball, archery.
Day 7 - Mukteshwar to Kathgodam – 57kms
Slip route ( longer duration )
Day 5- Shama to Munsiyari – 76kms
Day 6 - Munsiyari to Nachni– 58kms
Day 7 - Nachni to Mukteshwar – 187kms
Day 8- Mukteshwar to Kathgodam 57kms
Fixed Departure Dates for 2019 :
Feb : 23
March : 21
Oct : 2, 26
Nov : 9
|Included||Accommodation with meals||LAFL Service Charge|
|Not Included||All beverages (including bottled mineral water)||All Insurance|
|Camera Fees||Internet Usage|
|Motorcycles & fuel||Personal Riding gear|
|Personal Expenses||All not mentioned in the ‘Included’ section|
Please note that cancellation charges are calculated of the total amount payable and not of advance amount. If 100% of the amount is not paid while registering, the cancellation policy stands void.