The Fireflies phenomenon
Dang also known as The Dangs, is a district in the state of Gujarat in India. The administrative headquarters of the district are located in Ahwa. Dang is a forest region near Saputara. The gleaming fireflies at night adds a hue to Gujarat’s already colorful lifestyle.
Apart from the beautiful fireflies Dang forest also is a home for commonly noticed birds like Wood Pecker, Parrot, Hornbill, Indian Sparrow, Mayhna, Drongo, Egret, Kite, Owl & Eagle.
There are about 2,000 firefly species. These insects live in a variety of warm environments, as well as in more temperate regions. They are a familiar sight on summer evenings. Fireflies love moisture and often live in humid regions of Asia and the Americas. In drier areas, they are found around wet or damp areas that retain moisture.
This phenomenon usually takes place just before the main monsoon arrives and after the first showers.
Light and chemical production
Light production in fireflies is due to a type of chemical reaction called bioluminescence. This process occurs in specialized light-emitting organs, usually on a firefly’s lower abdomen. The enzyme luciferase acts on the luciferin, in the presence of magnesium ions, ATP, and oxygen to produce light.
Light in adult beetles was originally thought to be used for similar warning purposes. Now its primary purpose is thought to be used in mate selection. Fireflies are a classic example of an organism that uses bioluminescence for sexual selection.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS TRIP :
– Witness the gleaming festival.
– 2,000 firefly species.
– Different variety of birds, animals & insects.
– Dang forest is hilly, the highest peak in the east is 1100 m high.
– Visit to Pampa Sarovar.
– Local culture and cuisine.
– Nature trails.
– Around 5 hrs drive from Mumbai.
– Transportation in Ac vehicle from Mumbai.
Special discount for children.
– Below 5 years is free.
– For 6 years to 12 yrs, 50% of the Adult Charge.
How to reach :
- Air: Surat Airport is the nearest, 172 km away, Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport Mumbai is the nearest international airport 360 km away.
- Rail: Bilimora is the nearest railway station on Western Railways. There is a narrow gauge (0.7 m) (small train) from Bilimora to Waghai. Waghai is 52 km from Saputara .
- Road : Bus facility is available from Chikhli, Bilimora, Nasik and Surat. By bus Saputara is about three hours from Bilimora. Government buses are available from there.
Day 1 - Departure from Mumbai -Arrival - Nature walks - Fireflies festival
Day 2 - Departure
Fixed Departure Dates:
- 24th June 2017
- 1st July 2017
- 8th July 2017
- 15th July 2017
- 22nd July 2017
- 29th July 2017
|INCLUDED||Accommodation in hotel on twin sharing .||Parking charges|
|All veg meals||Guide|
|LAFL Service charges||Transportation to Dang Forest and back from Mumbai.**|
|NOT INCLUDED||All beverages (including bottled mineral water)|
|Camera fees||Personal medical requirements|
|All insurance||All tips|
|Phone and internet usage||Personal expenses|
|All not mentioned in the ‘Included’ section|
**if you do not want the transport from Mumbai to Dang Forest arranged by us, then that cost can be reduced, ask for discount code from us, before you do the payment.
Please note that cancellation charges are calculated of the total amount payable and not of advance amount. If 100% of the amount is not paid while registering, the cancellation policy stands void.